No more Mr Nice Girl

So many of us girls have grown up with an inner pressure to be nice all the time. To get along with people and be helpful, even when it is to our own detriment. It's something I continue to struggle with on a daily basis.

But something about the line in Steffany Gretzinger's song on my previous post gives me pause:

Love doesn't hold its tongue.


A few years ago while working as a nurse in general practice, a colleague told me about the positive changes her patients were having with low carb eating.  It was a pivotal point for me.

In usual practice, we health professionals typically tell people to cut out sugar in their diets (especially if they have diabetes or pre-diabetes), but we tend to forget that carbohydrates are made up of long chains of sugar (glucose) molecules. This means we only give them a half truth - we tell them to cut out sugar, but don't really discuss carbs. Sometimes patients see an initial improvement from cutting out the sugar, but ultimately their blood sugar control gets progressively worse because we've failed to adequately address the issue. I've seen it many, many times.

But it doesn't have to be this way!

How many people, if given the option, would choose a lifetime of progressively more medications, check ups and concerns about blood sugars and diabetes complications over making some adjustments to how they eat? It's true, some do choose to remain the way they are, but I think many more would choose the food route.... the injustice is that it is rarely offered to them.

This blog is about speaking my truths and this is one of them. If you don't like my perspectives, feel free to leave, but I am not going to hold my tongue.
Why?

Because millions of people are suffering the consequences of diabetes today because of the crappy advice WE'VE been feeding them.

Because more and more health professionals are starting to hear about and experience the positive benefits of carbohydrate restriction, but are scared to begin putting it into practice.

Because so many of us, whether having diabetes or not, are in a bad way. The dietary guidelines which have served the vested interests of big corporations for decades have not served us, the people.

Because God wants me to speak up. So I am.

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: 
to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, 
to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?" ~ Isaiah 58:6.

- Juliet.

Comments

  1. I love how you've weaved your faith, profession and your passion for nourishing your life through proper nutritional choices through your writing, Juliet. That's called 'integrity'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Buzz. I can't say I've got integrity all day every day (I mean, who's perfect anyway, right?) But there will never be any positive change if we all let our failings shut us up. They've done that for far too long already. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment